Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Borax Review and Giveaway

When Purex sent me the fun package below with 20 Mule Team Borax, it reminded me of happy memories from driving through the California desert and seeing signs for the Twenty Mule Team Museum . Using Borax is natural way to soften hard water which is important for improving your detergent's cleaning power. It can also help to remove stains  and keep stains from re-depositing onto clothes.I am a fan of natural products and 20 Mule Team Borax is a great one because it is 100% natural mineral from the earth. It is removed from the ground, washed, dried, and boxed. Absolutely nothing is added! There is no chlorine, phosphates, or other additives.

This Borax can be used for cleaning around the house or as a laundry booster. I use it as a laundry booster.  We have hard water which has compounds that attach to calcium and magnesium granules that settle on the bottom of our washing machine. They eventually fall down the drain without actually cleaning clothes.  It is such a waste of detergent.  In my mission to increase the effectiveness of our detergent, I've been adding 1/2 cup of 20 Mule Team Borax to each load. I use Purex Baby with the Borax as a laundry booster  and they work well together. We are potty training, so I like using a gentle laundry detergent, but I see the boost from the Borax since we have a lot of toddler clothing that gets messy

I bet that you are now wondering - Where can I get Borax ? It is easily available at many stores such as Target, Kroger, Walmart, and more.

Win it!
As a Purex Insider, I received  coupon to share with one lucky reader!  The winner must have a U.S. mailing address. The winner will have 24 hours to respond to our email with their mailing address or we will select a new winner. Good luck!
A natural laundry booster that makes your detergent work better. Got hard water? Borax is the best natural cleaner that works great as a water conditioner with your regular laundry detergent. You will get cleaner, fresher smelling clothing. This product makes baby clothes and cloth diapers smell fresh and renewed. Origin of Borax  Borax first appeared in history approximately 4,000 years ago. It is a naturally occurring mineral composed of sodium, boron, oxygen and water. Borax is generally found embedded deep in the ground, along with clay and other substances.

FAQ taken directly from Borax web site:
Do you have any tips for washing in hard water?
Believe it or not, more than 85% of homes in the U.S. have hard water. Clothes that are washed in hard water tend to look dingy and feel harsh. 20 Mule Team® Borax works well for washing clothes in hard water. ½ cup of 20 Mule Team® Borax will help soften water and prolong the longevity of clothes.
Can I use 20 Mule Team with bleach?
Yes, 20 Mule Team and chlorine bleach can be mixed safely.
How much 20 Mule Team do I use in the wash load?
Add ½ cup 20 Mule Team® Borax to each wash load along with the recommended amount of soap or detergent.
Is Borax safe for septic systems?
What is the shelf life of the Borax?
The shelf life of 20 Mule Team is indefinite if stored in a dry place.
Can Borax be used to kill ants or roaches?
The Dial Corporation cannot recommend Borax to kill ants or roaches. The EPA has not authorized 20 Mule Team as a pesticide.
What are the ingredients in 20 Mule Team® Borax?
20 Mule Team is composed of sodium, boron, oxygen, and water. (The scientific name for borax is sodium tetraborate decahydrate.)
Is 20 Mule Team® Borax Laundry Booster the same as boric acid?
No, Boric Acid is an acid formed from the reaction of borax with sulfuric acid or another mineral.
How much Borax is in 20 Mule Team?
20 Mule Team® Borax is comprised of 99.5% pure borax, a naturally occurring mineral composed of sodium, boron, oxygen, and water. (The scientific name for borax is sodium tetraborate decahydrate.) The remaining 0.5% is composed of trace minerals.
Can I use 20 Mule Team® Borax around my pets?
20 Mule Team® Borax can be used to deodorize pet odors. However, we recommend you keep 20 Mule Team® Borax out of reach of pets and children.
No monetary compensation was received. Complimentary Borax was received an any opinions expressed above are my very own. A thank you goes out to Purex for sharing Borax with me and my readers.


  1. I'd love to win!

    askandilltell86 at aol.com

  2. I would like to win this It would come in handy for all of the clothes.