Wednesday, October 24, 2012

What About Heaven? Book Review by Kathleen Long Bostrom




From Back Cover:  ………………………..  Heaven—

We love it when they ask. We struggle when they do.

When they ask what we’ll do in heaven,

How on  earth do you respond?

What about Heaven contains typical questions children ask about heaven. The second half of the book contains the answers  to those questions. The author bases her answers on the Bible and gives scriptural references at the top right of each page. The text rhymes and when read aloud has the singsong effect I like so much. From one verse to the next, the meter is the same.
The questions are simple ones.
………………………………..What food will I eat,
……………………………………and what clothes will I wear?
But the answers most often are not.
 ………………………………In heaven God serves you
……………………………………………….the very best meal.
……………………… …….You’ll never be hungry—
……………………….. ………………now that’s a good deal.
…………………… ……..The clothes that you’ll wear
………………………… ………..will be white and so clean;
………………. ……In heaven you won’t need
…………………………… ……………..a washing machine!
The illustrations of the children often times remind me of Precious Moments™ because of the round angelic faces and bright-eyed expressions. Representing the typical blond-hair, blue-eyed boy; red-haired, rosy-cheeked girl;  curly-haired, black child, and a black-haired, oriental child, these kids ask a variety of questions.
I like the questions and the answers. I also like the rhyming, which is easy to read and rolled right off my tongue. I like the multinational kids and the way they are illustrated. What I do not like is the thin paper of the paperback edition I received for this book tour. Children will repeatedly want to read What about Heaven. This will include the youngest children.  I think the pages need to be thicker for those little fingers to grasp and not tear. The hardback edition may address those problems. I do not know, as I have not seen one.*
What about Heaven will be loved by Christian families, church Sunday school programs, and by anyone who works with kids in a religious setting. The questions are common ones that even adults may have and the answers are soothing. Plus, scripture references are included with the answers. This book represents no one particular faith. Anyone with questions about heaven and what it will be like, will find not only answers, but scripture references  which give more in-depth answers to those questions.
I think a child with questions about heaven, or what happens when someone dies, may find some comfort in What about Heaven, no matter the age. The text is easy to read, the illustrations are wonderful, and the topics answer many good questions. If the paperback edition had stronger pages this would easily be a five star book."What About Heaven" by Kathleen Long Bostrom is a fantastic little book meant to help children begin to understand the amazing promise of heaven. The illustrations in the book are done by Elena Kucharik, the artist for the Care Bears. Her illustrations are whimsical, bright, and colorful.

The book begins with a series of questions about what heaven is like: Is heaven a place that is near or that's far? Can I have a room only for me? What food will I eat? And what clothes will I wear? The second half of the book transitions to answers to those questions. At the top of each page in the second half are the Scripture references referenced on that page. It's a wonderfully, bucolically sound book that can be appreciated by people of all ages. The rhyming text, combined with the wonderful illustrations, are sure to make this book a hit with kids.
Both of my preschool age boys enjoyed this book. It's a wonderful little book that will get a lot of mileage in our reading repertoire!

(I’ve received this complimentary book from Tyndale House Publishers in exchange for a review. A positive review was not required and the views expressed in my review are strictly my own.)


















No comments:

Post a Comment